Monday 31 October 2016

*** REVIEW *** HART BROKEN by Annie Arcane




Title: Hart Broken
Author: Annie Arcane
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Series: 1 of 4
Length: 319 pages 


 Mickey Hart doesn’t do one-night stands. Until she wakes up in a luxury penthouse. With nothing but a t-shirt. And no idea who it belongs to.

Enter Cale Windermere. Driven. Ambitious. Successful. And so gorgeous he could've walked straight out of a romance novel...

Except I can’t walk.

Not that it ever stops me from getting what I want.

And I want her.

Even if she's keeping secrets.

That could tear me to f*cking shreds
.


Oh, where to start with this one? There are so many things that I love about this story, so I guess that is the best place to start.  I’m struggling, however, to find the right words to put on paper to express all my feelings.  I read Hart Broken in a little over a day.  I would have devoured it quicker, but this was a weekend full of interruptions.  Grr! 

The story was well written and told in the alternating points of view of Mickey and Cale.  I read the story with total delight from beginning to end.  I never felt bored or had the need to do multiple hand waves, something that often happens when I read books with a handicapped main character. 

The characters are absolutely flawed in a perfect way.  The central characters are robust and well-researched.  They face genuine problems in their relationship, some they win, some they lose, and with some, they grow.  It is a frank and honest portrayal of a character dealing with the everyday life in a wheelchair and a character dealing with emotional handicaps. 

I loved that the hero, Cale Windermere, is in a wheelchair.  Cale is a major success story and drop-dead gorgeous to boot.  (My little editorial:  So often people/women in real life look at men in wheelchairs with pity when in fact they are often just as alpha as any non-handicapped male.) Hart Broken shines a realistic light on the life for a young, viral man in a chair. 

Mickey Hart is Cale's perfectly imperfect female counterpart.  She is equally dynamic with just as many issues to work through.  The problem is Mickey’s problems as so closed off that they aren’t that easy to find and address.  The dialog between Mickey and Cale is on point.  I love their banter, their sharing, and their fights, all of it because it shows how they grow and develop as time moves forward.

The feels.  Oh. My. God.  I went through all the feelings.  It was a real journey, the ups, the downs, the love, the anger (mine) were extraordinary.  There are two times that I wanted to reach through my Kindle and choke Mickey.  Mickey made me so angry, but she was real.  Mickey made a huge mistake in lashing out at one point.  I wanted to punch her.  I felt the pain she sent with her words and cried.  I like how she gathers the courage to make things right, though.  People lash out in fear or when they think they don’t deserve happiness.  I knew that.  I wasn't any less angry, but it did make me connect with the characters. 

The sex scenes are a little reserved compared to most of the books I’ve read lately.  That isn’t a bad thing it just means the imagination is in play more than the written word.  If you are looking for explicit sexual encounters, you won’t find it here.  What you will find is a beautiful romance that grows over time.  There is a rawness to the story that wins over the readers.  The pain that both characters work through is tangible to the reader and carried through from one page to the other. 

I did find the ending a little anti-climactic, but that is because I didn’t realize the book isn’t a standalone.  Don’t get me wrong; the ending has the couple in a good place while questions are still unanswered and the future is uncertain. 

I followed up with the author, Annie Arcane, about the future of the series.  At this point, she is planning to release three novellas to continue Mickey and Cale’s story.  Her goal is to release them every three months or so.  I can handle that. 

If you are looking for a good story, that doesn’t have typical main characters.  Hart Broken is a book for you.  If you like a story that is eloquently written with a solid plot, this book is for you.  If you like complex, well-developed characters, let’s face it who doesn’t, this book is for you.  These two characters are the heart of the whole story and completely authentic.  Hart Broken is my first Annie Arcane book; it won’t be my last.  In fact, I need more now.  The next book in the series is expected to release on November 27, 2016.

4.5 STAMPS




 


I have a mission. One objective. To blast societal stereotypes into oblivion.

The Canadian Association of Broadcasters report found that disabled “individuals are viewed as the objects of pity, and depicted as having the same attributes and characteristics no matter what the disability may be.”

I hereby vow to deliver 3 things: romance, wounded heroes, and a touch of angst.
As for my leading men? Every last one is a member of the S-league…

Strong. Smart. Successful. Sexy as Sin.

I’m also a Vietnamese-Canadian with my B.Sc. in Biology and minor in English. But nobody cares about that. I don’t care about that.
Hugs. I care about hugs.

*Copied from author's website




        


No comments:

Post a Comment